Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Aternative Jesus 3

This subject started out as a little rant about the Wossname Code, then veered off a little more towards alternate history, and along the way got picked up by Elliot and Catholic Steve...

And now I realise that I hadn't quite finished with it myself.

Before you reach for the stones again, what if, instead of taking Christ out of the equation entirely, we just moved him about the timeline a little. You know, have him actually face the kind of dilemmas modern life insists on presenting us with.

It doesn't have to be today, of course; if it was, it would certainly be a different today - the way the world would have turned out without the influence of Christianity. It could be the near future, a space-faring future (for those of us aching to write a Christian space opera) or the year 5 billion.

Or venture into the past - have Jesus walk the earth in 1960s London, or '80s New York, or transplant him into any of the What ifs I mentioned in my first post on the subject.

I've been looking for a unique hook for my WW2 alternate history...

2 comments:

Elliot said...

I think Wolfe plays with this a bit, in introducing Christ-like figures into the far future (or possibly a different universe altogether) in New Sun, and in Long Sun. Oddly enough, those books have in turn helped me understand certain aspects of the New Testament.

UKSteve said...

Now that is what Christian fiction should do.

I'd better brush up on my Bible study...