Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Countless as the Sequel

It doesn't have a title yet, but 'The Sequel', as it is called in my head, is beginning to take shape. There will be elements of Bible stories in there, but rather than just re-telling them (as with Countless as the Stars) they are just part of the story, which will be much more along the lines of a regular space opera. And that means I can leave in the sex, drugs and violence without scaring off the Christian market I originally wrote it for...

Watering down the Biblical basis was something I deliberately avoided with Countless, intending it for a Christian fiction market which fell flat on its face in the UK. As a result, some of the sf elements were watered down, probably to the detriment of the story. Although the sequel will follow on from the events of Countless, I plan to make it a standalone story, hopefully worthy of the wider sf market. Unfortunately for my loyal readership, that will probably entail recounting some of the key events in flashback, but I guess we'll wait and see what my publisher says... ;)

Anyway, here's a quick teaser:
Twenty years have passed since the expulsion from Tellus.

Despite many difficulties, the United Colonies are thriving.

Aidan Qqayle, reluctant leader of the UC, hasn't seen his father since they settled on Lomas, shortly after the old man died.

Now he's back, with one more task for his son to complete. A task that will lead Aidan to confront his past, doubt his present and, one way or another, influence the future of the entire system...

No comments: