Thursday, January 29, 2009

Screw down my diodes and call me Frank...

....look who's coming back!



Yep, it's true... Red Dwarf is returning to Earth for two brand new specials on the improbably named digital channel, Dave, which has been showing re-runs for some time.

Rimmer, Lister, Kryten and the Cat have all signed up, Doug Naylor is writing and directing, and we get to see the finished article, along with a couple of new behind the scenes shows, this Easter. No mention of which, if any, version of Holly will be along for the ride yet though...

Am I excited? Well... hopeful, let's say. The last couple of seasons - first with the departure of Rimmer, and then with the resurrection of everyone else - kind of lost the plot, and while I have slight reservations about the Dwarf returning to Earth, nothing is as it seems in the Dwarfiverse (and anyway, Lister has already been back to Earth in the official novels)...

On the plus side, the only photo so far released by Dave is of Lister is his trademark leather jacket, so hopefully no more of that canaries nonsense.

But just in case, I'll close with these wise words from Holly:

He's dead, Dave. Everybody's dead. Everybody is dead, Dave!

2 comments:

Matthew Celestine said...

I never liked Red Dwarf much.

I am not sure that comedy and science fiction mix that well.

UKSteve said...

Sci-fi comedy can be a train wreck, you're quite right; but I think Red Dwarf worked because it took the sci-fi elements seriously. Many of its better plotlines, written without gags, would still work as 'serious' sci-fi telly.