Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Tuesday Tunes: Queenadreena

I lost touch with the new music scene quite a while ago. It didn't phone, didn't answer my e-mails...

And so I remained largely oblivious to the existence of QueenAdreena until quite recently.

Which is a shame, because from the speaker-ruining opening chords of Love Your Money, up until KatieJane Garside left and they became a bit pants, I was completely hooked on Daisy Chainsaw.

So as soon as I discovered that KJ had hooked up with Chainsaw axeman Crispin Gray again and formed QueenAdreena, I had to check them out. And their debut album from way back in 2000, Taxidermy, did not disappoint. In fact, once I get it in my head that I need to listen to some demented goth punk, it tends to stay on my CD player for days. It's that good.

Most of the tracks are more melodic than Daisy Chainsaw - almost as if KatieJane learnt to sing in the intervening years ;) - but still the vocals goes from innocent and girly to mad shouty harridan from one track to the next. There seems to be a lot more variety to the material, too; Eleventeen kind of blended into one big loud noise (yeah, and me, a fan!) at times, but on Taxidermy, all the songs are different.

So, stand out tracks? Well, most of the CD is pretty darn good, but opener Cold Fish (if only for the line 'splish, splish, splish'. Genius!); Yesterday's Hymn at the mellow end of the spectrum; and Friday's Child for a good old fashioned punk rock thrash.
The reason I mention this all now, is that KatieJane just released a much more mellow sounding album under the name of Ruby Throat, which, if I can track down a copy any time, I might review later.

In the meantime, if you haven't heard Love Your Money, go and listen to it. Truly a classic of our time; even QueenAdreena don't make 'em like that any more.

Sci-fi Song of the Week
A slightly random choice this week: Metal Mickey by Suede. Apart from the title, it has nothing at all to do with science fiction, but was, allegedly, written about KatieJane. Never let it be said that I would let such a tenuous link go unnoticed.

No comments: